Housed in the grounds of the old 19th century magazine fort which was once in the interior of the castle, the centre shows the life of the castle as a military garrison and coastal lookout since 1487, year of the incorporation of Málaga into the Kingdom of Castilla, until 1925 when a Royal Decree from Alfonso XIII bequeathed the castle to the city for use by the civilian population. During these 438 years the castle saw continuous use as a military installation.
In its great glass displays divided by century one can find plans showing Gibrafaro´s development, weapons, uniforms and everyday objects and artefacts throughout the centuries of the castles life, as well as information detailing the most important events of the castles history, giving special attention to the 18th century which include J. Carrión de Mula´s 1791 plans, jewel of Malagan cartography and a commander of the Nautical School of San Telmo.The exhibition includes a large model of Málaga today showing also the moorish Málaga of old, stamps with military uniforms,a collection of playing cards from each century made in Málaga, cartographic and navagational instruments, and model sodiers, all of which detail the evolution of the military garrison closely bound to the the population which it was part of.
Address: Camino Gibralfaro, 11, 29016 Málaga
Tel.: 952 12 20 20
Open: Summer: 9,00 h – 21,00 h; Winter: 9,00 h – 18,00 h
Adult: 2,10 €
Tour of both Alcazaba – Castillo Gibralfaro: 3,45 €
Retired and students: 0,60 €
Sundays from 14:00 and children under 6 years old: free admission