MUPAM is a museological project to try and explain the city and its identity. The tour begins with doumentary pieces which explain the creation of the first city council in 1847 and the conversion of Malaga into a spanish and christian city. In other rooms there are works from the XIX and XX centuries selected from the municipal collection for the insights they can give to the visitor as valuable identifiers of place. A fact which gives great importance to the more than 4000 pieces which make up the municipal collection.
MUPAM was concieved with the idea of linking museum and city. For this reason besides the carefully chosen selection and arrangement of the exhibits, great importance is granted to the educational and informative aspects of the museum.
The museum is housed in a building designed by the architect Frederico Orellana in 1998 and opened on the 8th of march in 1999 as the Municipal Museum and dedicated up to now to temporary exhibitions and cultural activities.
The museum also houses other Municipal Heitage Assets making it a most complete reference of the Municipal Collection of Málaga. The Málaga Municipal Heritage Museum tries to be a place which explains the relationship of the City Council to the city through the artworks in its collection
Address: Paseo Reding 1, 29016 Málaga
Tel.: 952225106 To book guided visits: 952608465
Open: Tuesday – Sunday: Winter: 10,00 h – 20,00 h; Summer: 11,00 h – 21,00 h
Price: free admission
+ Info: Guided visits and activities
One of the attractions of the monumental Abbey of Saint Anne is that its name is forever linked with the sculpture Pedro de Mena y Medena, the most important artist in Malaga during the Baroque period. The exhibition is made up of around 300 pieces of religious art from the 16th to the 20th century. It is structured in four parts:
Room 1 Cister and History
Dedicated to the exhibition of pictorial pieces conserved in the Abbey.
Room 2 Images of Baroque
This room houses a wide range of pictorial objects, sculpture, metalware and silverware, as well as documentary records, textile paintings and embroidery.
Room 3 Privacy and Closure
Houses a large part of the collection of sculpture made up of pieces from the 16th and 18th century. Also of great interest are the miniatures of religious images, alter pieces and ornamental coverings and the Nacimientos. Nativity Scenes
Room 4 Dream of Life and Death
This place hides a true mystical “nursery” which shows the contrast of a childs gentleness against the dramatic meaning of the “Nińos de Pasión” (“Children of Passion”).
Address: Calle Císter 13, 29015 Málaga
Tel.: 952 21 69 71
Open: Monday-Saturdays: 10,00 h-13,00 h ( except Sundays and Holidays)
Prices: Retired:1,5€; Group: 1€; Adult: 2€
The Los Estudiantes (literally “the students”) procession is one of the most important of Malagas Easter processions. The Virgin and Christ are borne through the streets of Malaga by the Estudiantes Confradi or brotherhood. The Estudiantes Museum is located right in the old historic city centre facing Malagas most important landmark the Alcazaba Castle, and a short distance from the Roman Theatre, the Picasso Museum and the Palacio de la Aduana , future home of the Museum of Fine Arts.
The museum is divided into two sections: the Throne Hall and the Educational Room – Events Room. The Throne Hall has 11 display cabinets and 6 display stands. There is also a complete audiovisual system.
Among the processional exhibits of particular interest are the Cruz Guía (guide cross), the lights of the Cruz Guía, and the standards of the Virgin and Christ. The Processional Crown and velvet dressage of the virgin are also outstanding.
The Museums centrepieces are of course the Thrones which carry the Virgin and Christ, along with the canopy and the Virgins cloak.
Address: C/Alcazabilla, 3, 29015 Málaga
Tel.: 952 22 12 64
Prices: personal donation (not obligatory)
Fascinating work by the Málaga – born artist and the beauty of the Palacio de Buenavista make the Picasso Museum Málaga (PMM) a unique place to enjoy art and culture.
The 155 works which make up the PMM Collection cover the revolutionary innovations of Picasso, as well as the great number of material and technical styles that he mastered. From his first academic studies to his personal vision of classicism; from the flat superimposure of Cubism to his experimentation with ceramics; from his intepretations of the masters to his last paintings of the sixties. The museum owes its existence to Christine and Bernard Ruiz-Picasso, whose donations form the major part of this museum devoted to the life of an artist whose techniques and styles changad the course of modern art.
The Palacio de Buenavista is home to the Picasso Museum Málaga. Located in the middle of the old town centre of the city, it is a harmonious blend of renaissance, moorish and contemporary architecture. In the subsoil of this magnificent example of 16th Century Andalusian architecture the visitor would find an archealogical site that contains roman and arab remains, silent witnesses to the history of the city.
Temporary exhibitions, educational and cultural activities, library and specialist bookshop also form part of Picasso Museum Málaga.
Address: C/ San Agustín 8, 29015 Málaga
Tel.: 902 44 33 77 / 952 12 76 00
Open: Tuesday – Thursday: 10,00 h – 20,00 h; Friday and Saturday: 10,00 h – 21,00 h; Monday: closed
Price: The Collection: 6 €; Combined: 8 €; Temporary Exhibitions: 4,5 €
Discounts (50%): Persons over 65yrs old; Students under 26yrs old; Groups of more than 20 persons (with reservation)
Free admission: Persons up to 18yrs old ( children under 13 must be accompanied by adult);
Euro young persons card <26; University of Málaga students ( must produce student card);
ICOM members; The last Sunday of every month from 15:00h
The Bullfighting Museum offers the visitor a grand tour of the world of bullfighting. It contains bullfighting costumes, photographs, posters and other valuable objects associated with the national sport. The museum is named Antonio Ordóńez in honour of the legendary bullfighter from Ronda who gave such glorious spectacle to the crowd on many afternoons in the Málaga bullring.
The Bullfighting Museum Antonio Ordóńez was opened on the 25th of May 1999. It is housed in the Bullring in La Malagueta and is 225 metres squared. The museum comprises three rooms and a large passageway. Among the most important exhibits are bullfighting posters, sculptures, bullfighting costumes, capes and other accessories and mounted bulls´heads.
Address: Paseo Reding s/n, 29016 Málaga
Open: Mondays – Fridays:10,00 h – 13,00 h / 17,00 h – 20,00 h
Price: Person: 1,80 €; children up to 7 free admission
The Brotherhood of the Santísimo Cristo of the Expiracion and of Maria Santisima de los Dolores Coronada dates back to the XVIII. Its flowering as an integral part of the Easter processions began in 1920 when both Brotherhoods united under its current name. Their first procession took place in 1921 on Holy Wednesday.
The Casa-Hermandad or Brotherhood-House was built in the 1960s and the museum is housed here, in a building attached to the parish church of St. Peter.
The museum collection is divided into four rooms:
Room I is inside the church and is dedicated to images of the Brotherhood.
Room II is a large modern construction and is dedicated to the processional thrones on which the Virgin and Christ are borne. Objects associated with the procession and Brotherhood are also exhibited here in large wooden and velvet display cabinets, as well as objects of worship and the Virgins garments which include her magnificent cloak of extraordinary dimensions.
Room III is dedicated to a large collection of objects and monuments associated with the Brotherhoods in Malaga, which are shared and loaned out among each other.
Room IV has a collection made up of the Treasures of the Brotherhood which consist of processional garments, gifts and offerings that the Brotherhood makes to the Christ and Virgin, the crown and dagger of the Virgin, and Christ s crown which represents His triumph over death, pain and evil.
Address: Pl. Enrique Navarro 1, 29002 Málaga
Tel.: 952 36 02 71
Open: 10,00 h – 13,00 h / 18,00 h – 20,00 h
Price: free admission
Housed in the grounds of the old 19th century magazine fort which was once in the interior of the castle, the centre shows the life of the castle as a military garrison and coastal lookout since 1487, year of the incorporation of Málaga into the Kingdom of Castilla, until 1925 when a Royal Decree from Alfonso XIII bequeathed the castle to the city for use by the civilian population. During these 438 years the castle saw continuous use as a military installation.
In its great glass displays divided by century one can find plans showing Gibrafaro´s development, weapons, uniforms and everyday objects and artefacts throughout the centuries of the castles life, as well as information detailing the most important events of the castles history, giving special attention to the 18th century which include J. Carrión de Mula´s 1791 plans, jewel of Malagan cartography and a commander of the Nautical School of San Telmo.The exhibition includes a large model of Málaga today showing also the moorish Málaga of old, stamps with military uniforms,a collection of playing cards from each century made in Málaga, cartographic and navagational instruments, and model sodiers, all of which detail the evolution of the military garrison closely bound to the the population which it was part of.
Address: Camino Gibralfaro, 11, 29016 Málaga
Tel.: 952 12 20 20
Open: Summer: 9,00 h – 21,00 h; Winter: 9,00 h – 18,00 h
Adult: 2,10 €
Tour of both Alcazaba – Castillo Gibralfaro: 3,45 €
Retired and students: 0,60 €
Sundays from 14:00 and children under 6 years old: free admission
This museum has its origins in the donations the Ruiz de Luna family gave to Malaga City Council of pieces from the familys own collection. Currently headed by the ceramist Amparo Ruiz de Luna. The family will donate pieces by their father, the famous ceramist Juan Ruiz de Luna Arroyo.
Among the pieces you will find outstanding examples of all kinds of ceramics as well as oil paintings, pictures, vessels, murals, plates, watercolours, sculptures etc. Along with the exhibition the museum will include an oven so we can appreciate the artisan process of works in ceramic.
The Film Museum will be a museum of reference in Europe. The filmmaker Bigas Luna will work on its concept. Bigas Luna expects the Film Museum to be a vivid museum in order to offer a new idea about the film and audiovisual world.
Amongst the considering possibilities concerning the museums location, on the one hand we have the place where an old cinema was in Malaga and on the other hand a space in one of the wharfs at the Malaga port. All this depends on exhibition surface needs which the museum requires.
The “Lagar de Torrijos” Ecology Museum, a public use facility belonging to the Junta de Andalucía’s Ministry of Environment, is located in the heart of the Montes de Malaga Natural Park.
The building dates back to 1843 and has been conserved in great part just as it was built. It is the prototype of the press- house in the area of the Malaga Mountains, in which the functional element prevailed over comfort. The ‘lagar’ is defined as building whose main part is dedicated to wine making. In Torrijos the following elements can be distinguished: the lagar (winepress), patio, rooms with chimneys, the bread ovens, the oil press, the cellar, the fermenting room, etc. The upper part was devoted to living quarters.
The central part of the house is the beam, giving the grape press its name. It was located in an accessible spot for when the grapes were brought in from the fields during the harvest. It is called a spindle type, because of the rotating screw that drives the beam up and down on the tower of baskets containing the treaded grapes.
Address: DSMO CASA FORESTAL TORRIJOS 1, 29018 Málaga
Carretera del Colmenar (Parque Natural de los Montes de Málaga)
Saturdays, Sundays and holidays: 10,00 h – 16,00 h
Thursdays and Fridays (only Fridays on summer): 10,00 h – 14,00 h
Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays: closed
Price: Free admission